Today's Follow Friday post is about FreeObituariesFound.org, which "exists to make all obituaries freely accessible by everyone." The purposes of the site are to:
- Create and market a free Internet obituary archive
- Publish, index, and preserve new obituaries
- Duplicate, transcribe, abstract, index, and preserve past obituaries
- Publish instructional materials for obituary writers, genealogists, and historians
- Persuade obituary copyright holders to place content in the public domain and or make them freely available
As with FindaGrave and other popular genealogy sites, the content comes from the users. Take a look at the screen where you can contribute obituaries here:
FreeObituariesFound.org is owned and operated by Ben Sayers's company, Things to Teach, Inc., which also brings you GenealogyTools.com and Lineascope.com.